Monday, December 31, 2012

Salo and Quail Eggs and Happy New Year

In the interests of supporting my Ukrainian District Leader and international relations I partook of salo this New Year's Eve.  Salo is uncooked pork fat - like what my dad used to call side pork and the Italians call lardo.  The Ukrainians eat it raw - dipped in salt and then a taste of raw onion also dipped in salt and then bread - you guessed it - dipped in salt.  I promised Sherry I would eat anything placed in front of me and I tried it.  It was all good - except the onions are not sitting well.  I am sure my Dad is in heaven laughjing - or maybe saying - "What's the big deal?"  He ate raw onions - I remember him telling me his Dad liked raw onion sandwiches.  My dad used to dice raw oniuons on navy beans.

My DL also presented us with these quail eggs.  His family own 70,000 quail who give 60,000 eggs a day.  Of course, he eats them raw.  That will NOT be happening!  Five quail eggs equal one chicken egg.  Chicken eggs come in packs of ten instead of twelve here in Russia.

Tonight and tomorrow all missionaries are "locked down" in their apartments.  New Year's Eve is the biggest holiday in Russia and a LOT of people get drunk.  The holiday lasts for a week and a half but we're only locked down until the 2nd.  We're watching White Christmas tonight!


Happy New Years!  Eat some salo and think of us!

2 comments:

  1. hey, let that handsome young guy try some Doritos salsa chips. He'll never go back to lardo again!

    I've always appreciated different cultures. It all started with that lovely Brazilian exchange student in my Senior Civics class...

    Hey - best to you both! I always read your blog, keep it up. thinkin of ya and all the good times, Ric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy ate sandwiches made from slices of raw onion and peanut butter - said he read about it in a western, decided to try it, and liked it. Best when made with Walla Walla Sweets, of course. Surprised he never asked you to make one of those when you were visiting. Funny thing is, I never really ate raw onions myself until I lived with him in Tucson. Now I eat them all the time. Once again, best when they are Walla Walla Sweets...lol.

    ReplyDelete