Saturday, January 12, 2013

Baptism

As the attached picture shows I was asked to baptize a young man who was baptized this afternoon.  It was a surprise because I didn't think I had much of a relationship with him - the two Elders shown in this picture have been the ones who have taught him over the last couple of months.  When he was interviewed for baptism he asked me to perform the ordinance.  I asked him if wouldn't rather have one of the younger elders baptise him and he said he'd rather have me do it.  He has been attending FHE the last few months and has been taught a little in our home so I guess he enjoyed the spirit there.  A lot of the young people in Russia don't have positive examples at home and we've been told that our example of a loving marriage would go far towards helping the misisonaries as they teach.  In case you don't know how it works in our church before you can join you are required to be taught - usually by two of our younger missionaries - a series of lessons outlining the doctrines of our religion.  Once you understand those doctrines and believe in them they you can be baptised.  I like the fact that the individual is asked to pray and receive a witness of the spirit before joining - so the decision is between the individual and God.  Sherry and I both went through that experience many years ago.  For those of you who knew me before that you understand how grateful I am for the influence of God in my life!  Everything good I have I owe to Jesus Christ, that's for sure!

In addition to this wonderful spiritual opportunity we also spent five hours on buses going to and from a meeting and the baptism.  We could have driven from Eureka to San Fransisco in that time!  And in a LOT more comfort! 



1 comment:

  1. Elder Chuck - if there was ever a great example of the positive impact gospel principles can have on a person/family, you guys are a good 'un! Life can be good, keep hope alive. Give my regards to your new friend

    ReplyDelete